Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Ancient Egypt


I really enjoy the style of ancient Egyptian architecture and design. They incorporate a lot of elements of nature in their wall murals, which I'm a huge fan of. I've also recently become really fond of acacia wood, I find it to be really beautiful in it's current day applications, so I think it's really awesome to see something that I enjoy so much now, being used thousands of years ago. Also, I think a lot of people think of lots of gold and gaudy furniture when thinking of ancient Egypt due to depictions in film, but this image of a chair belonging to Queen Hetepheres shows that more modest woods were used, even for royalty.


An example of nature being depicted in a mural:


Various Egyptian furniture 


Present day application for Acacia wood (my favorite cutting board!)


Modern day (really hideous) nature inspired mural









4 comments:

  1. While I was focusing on what I have learned from past, you were focusing on current application, which I thought it is very important for us in History class to tie back then to today. On top of that, great design that you customized your page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I discussed your blog post here: http://history1mlh.blogspot.com/2014/01/ancient-civilizations-discussion.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great description of the Egyptian culture, I like how you talk about specific designs and how its used in the furnishings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked your post and how you not only related things to modern design and architecture but to your own life. I though it was really interesting. You made a lot of good points and had good pictures too.

    ReplyDelete